To content
Don't forget anything!

Checklist for Your Stay Abroad

Whether you are spending time abroad in an internship or a study program, you will find helpful tips and important information here about everything you need to do before and after your stay abroad.

First Steps - Before You Apply

Do you know that you want to go abroad, but you don't know whether an internship or one or two semesters at a foreign university would be best? Usually you can assume that the supervision and support in a study abroad program - especially in an exchange program - will be excellent. Foreign universities usually help out a lot with finding accommodation, they have buddy programs and also set up events like orientation days and excursions. Outside of exchange programs, though, it can be difficult to find a scholarship.

An internship abroad has to be organized much more independently; you typically have to find your own accommodation, and besides your introduction to the company there are usually no other events to help you get to know the region and the culture. The IAESTE program and volunteer service programs, however, are exceptions. Due to the level of independent planning that is necessary, an internship abroad is normally well suited to the end of your studies when you can also work more independently. There are several internship scholarships for which you can apply on relatively short notice, making an internship a good choice for last-minute planners.

The video "Auslandsstudium oder lieber Praktikum mit Erasmus+?" from the campaign #kurzerklärt can help you make a decision (in German).

The German semester dates are very different from those at foreign universities!

Please note that the German semester dates do not apply to the whole world. Before you apply you should double check the semester dates at the desired university and speak with your department about the possibility of taking exams at a later/different date. In order to be more flexible regarding the semester dates you may also want to consider completing an internship before  the start of the study program. 

It is usually not possible to miss the orientation phase at the host university. In exchange programs the participation in the orientation is mandatory.

With an internship abroad you may be able to decide yourself when you will start, which may give you more flexibility.

What is the best time to go abroad in my particular degree program?

Study abroad normally fits well into most studies in the fifth semester, since many programs have electives in this semester that can easily be transferred from a foreign university. Generally, though, you can decide on your own when you would like to go. Participation in an exchange program is possible from the third semester. Speak with the advisors in your department to find out when would be best.

Internships are usually better somewhat later in your studies. However, some scholarships are available from the first semester on, so you can decide yourself when you would rather go.

Two stays abroad in one semester

Since the semester dates at foreign universities normally differ from the German semesters it can actually be possible to complete a study program and an internship abroad in one semester. The study program would generally start in August/September and end in December; the internship could take place from January through March in the same or a different country.

The whole world is open - that can make it more difficult to decide where to go. The International Office can help you during the advising hours.

Read testimonials: The testimonials (most in German) from other TU students can help to better understand everyday life in various countries.

Find out  what the language requirements are: In case you do not have any (or much) knowledge of the country's language, you need to be sure that you can follow classes or carry out your work in the host country in English. In study abroad programs in non-English-speaking countries there may be a very limited selection of courses in English. Research exactly what you would be able to do and which  courses are available in which language. For an internship you should make sure that enough employees in the company can speak English.

Be open for new things: Look beyond the tourist destinations. Students often say that they were able to get to know the local culture and local people even better in places that are not overrun by tourists.

Calculate a budget: For a study abroad program it is a good idea to consider  TU Dortmund University's partners abroad,  since students nominated for the exchange program receive a full tuition waiver.  In the Erasmus+ program students also receive a monthly stipend for a study or internship abroad program. Moreover, you typically do not have such high travel costs in the Erasmus+ countries. Read through the DAAD's country-specific information (in German) to find, among other things, information about the cost of living in various countries.

Even though some study and internship programs only require English, you should not go abroad without having at least rudimentary skills in the host country's language. In some countries English will not get you very far when communicating with the locals.

Learning Languages in Dortmund:  Foreign Languages Department at TU Dortmund University

Foreign Language Courses
The Department of Foreign Languages' website lists all courses for TU Dortmund University's students. Note that you have to register for classes before the start of the semester!

Tandem Language Learning
If you want to practice your language skills in another setting, then you can work together with native speakers of your desired language in the tandem program; they also want to learn your native language. The communication is bilingual and both partners have enough time in each language. 

Academic Writing and Presentations (German/English)

The offer from the Department of Foreign Languages / includes regular classes during the semester, short workshops and individual consultations, all of which can be used regularly or as needed. 

Learning Languages Online

Erasmus+ Online Language Support (OLS)

Students who are chosen for the Erasmus+ Program will receive a link to the EU's Online language portal (OLS). Through this platform you can complete as many language tests and language courses  as you wish for any EU language - online and free of charge. the courses are especially helpful for everyday language in a foreign country. 

Learning Languages Abroad

DAAD Catalog: Language Courses Abroad

The DAAD catalog of language courses  (in German) has information about language courses at universities throughout the world. 

"​​Intensive English Program (IEP) at Western Washington University, USA

The ​​Intensive English Program (IEP) at TU Dortmund University's partner school Western Washington University offers non-credit English language courses in 6 levels. The courses are meant to prepare students for studying completely in English and improving one's general level. Students spend one trimester (approximately 3 months) on the campus. Scholarships are available.

Language Program Scholarships and award Globetrotter scholarships of 1,000 EUR twice a year for language programs abroad. The company Education First also offers the "EF Sprachreisenstipendium".

Many universities abroad require a language certificate in the application. Sometimes the DAAD Language Certificate is accepted; this is offered free of charge at TU Dortmund University.

DAAD Language Certificate

The Language Certificate can be used for any DAAD programs, but also many universities and employers accept the certificate as proof of your language level. The test is done through an appointment (register online) in TU Dortmund University's Department of Foreign Languages.

Language Tests Outside of the University

Students of TU Dortmund University have the possibility to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) in Dortmund or in any other test center. Information about the next test dates (2-3x/month) and registration are available here. Information about a prep course for the test, offered by the Chamber of Commerce, is availablehere.

The computer-based Cambridge Test  and IELTS  can also be taken in Dortmund.

Since scholarship application deadlines can be very early, you should start planning a study abroad about 1.5-2 years in advance and an internship abroad about one year in advance.

If you are involved in international activities and hone your intercultural skills, for example by taking language courses, going abroad or volunteering in a buddy program, you can receive the Certificate "Studium International" .

Especially by getting involved in a buddy program or in an international club you'll be able to not only help other students at TU Dortmund University but also build your own intercultural and soft skills.

Usually when applying to a foreign institution you will need to turn in an English transcript of records.

For most degree programs it should be possible to generate an English transcript in BOSS.  This PDF document can usually be sent to the host institution without a signature or stamp. In some cases the Examinations Office can issue a (signed/stamped) transcript. Please check there if you need a signed transcript or if your GPA needs to be included in your transcript.

If you are unable to have an English transcript generated through BOSS or the Examinations Office, please use the following template (please check this sample document)


It may take up to four weeks to process your transcript, so please turn in everything on time so as not to miss your deadline. In case your deadline ends earlier: Send the transcript that you translated/filled out to the host institution as an "unofficial transcript" and hand in the official and signed document later.

  • Please read the information in the sample document first.
  • Send your current Certificate of Enrolment as well as proof of your actual grades (BOSS, certificates, "Studienbuch", etc.) together with the filled in template to transcriptstu-dortmundde
  • Do not forget to let us know the following information in your e-mail:
    • Have you already checked in BOSS to see if you can generate an English transcript?
      (The website has to be switched to English for this.)
    • University/company to which you are applying?
    • City and country?
    • Planned dates for the stay abroad?
    • If the stay abroad has been organized through a placement agency, which one?
  • The signed PDF will be sent to you through e-mail.

Before You Go Abroad

It is possible for some students to apply for BAföG to help finance not just studies in Germany, but also for studies abroad. It is important that the application is made at least 6 months before the start of the semester. 


Funding in the form of a stipend (not a loan):

  • For study abroad: the necessary tuition fees (up to 5,600 EUR)

Funding for which 50% is a loan:

  • Travel costs (one-time, up to 1,000 EUR)
  • in many cases the health insurance in the host country
  • Living expenses (monthly country-specific amount)

Scholarships of 300 EUR or more per month may lead to less funding in Auslands-BAföG. The Erasmus+ Social Top Ups for students with special needs/chronic illness or children will not effect your funding in Auslands-BAföG based on a decree from 8.5.2024.


Special offices designated by the states are responsible for this, not the Studierendenwerk Dortmund. On the website you can find the office that is responsible for your host country. The application must be submitted at least 6 months before the start of the stay abroad. Another small hint: There is the possibility to apply in advance for a decision on the eligibility of the education abroad (esp. important for self-organized stays).

Further information about Auslands-BAföG is available here (in German).

For study abroad it is a good idea to apply for TU Dortmund University's partner institutions, since the exchange program includes a full tuition waiver. In the Erasmus+ Program for an internship or study abroad, you will also receive a monthly stipend for the cost of living.

You may and should apply for several scholarships at once to increase your chances. However, you are only able to keep one scholarship. Auslandsbafög can be combined with scholarships. The responsible person in the International Office can assist you if you are not sure what can be combined with your scholarship.

You can find more information online about scholarships for the following stays abroad:

It is a good idea to also read the country-specific information from the DAAD (in German): These pages give an overvew of the expected costs in all countries across the world as well as a comprehensive overview of scholarships for each country.

In general it is very important - and for some programs even mandatory - to be insured for various situations while abroad. Compare offers from several companies before you make a decision. Note that a travel health insurance may not be sufficient or applicable to longer stays abroad.

Please note that even during a stay abroad, you still have to have valid health insurance for Germany; if not, you would lose your student status at TU Dortmund University. This could mean, espcecially for an overseas stay abroad, that you are actually insured twice - in Germany and abroad. Discuss your possibilities with your health insurance provider.

DAAD Insurance Policy for Scholarship Recipients

Students who receive a DAAD scholarship or are placed abroad through one of the DAAD programs (e.g. Erasmus+, PROMOS, Go East, IAESTE, AIESEC, etc.) may choose to take out a policy through the DAAD insurance offer.

Looking for a Subtenant? - Housing Anywhere Can Help!

TU Dortmund University is a member of the network, an international accommodation platform for students. You may offer your room or apartment up for a sublease for exchange students coming to Dortmund. By offering your room through this platform you can be sure not to have to pay double rent, and you know that your room will be available again at the end of the semester when you return to Dortmund. Register online with your university e-mail address to use the platform for free. Further information about the platform can also be found in this presentation by Housing Anywhere. Do not forget to inform your landlord about your plans.

Please Note:
We cannot guarantee that you will find a subtenant! You will increase the chances of finding a subtenant if the months of your offer match TU Dortmund University's semester dates (e.g. September/October until February for the winter semester and March/April until July for the summer semester).

Questions and feedback can be sent to Miriam Gothe-Kräher in the International Office.

Looking for a Room Abroad?

Housing Anywhere

You can also use the Housing Anywhere platform for your own stay abroad in over 400 cities across the world. Registered students from Housing Anywhere's partner universities receive special service and tips. Further information about the platform can also be found in this presentation by Housing Anywhere.

Additional Tips

Here you will find tips from other students on finding accommodation, however, please use your own best judgment when using these services. Returning students also often suggest not looking for a room or apartment until you are actually in the host country in order to avoid surprises (regarding cleanliness, etc.).

Tip: ErasmusPlay explains in this guide how to avoid common mistakes and problems.


Worldwide: HousingAnywhereCraigs List,  GumtreeAirBnB, homestayEasyRoommateWG-gesuchtJust LandedPadMapperMitwohnzentrale, spotahome, ErasmusPlay, The Social HubUniplaces (however, be careful and double check that the apartment is real - students have had very good, but also bad, experiences with this platform)

Australia: Semester in, Campus Accommodation


Belgium: appartager.beTipps für Brüssel

Canada:, Places4Students

Chile: Chile Central

China: FIC FlatinChina UG

France: Foyers de Jeunes Travailleurs, MyLilleHomeNexity Studéa


Ireland:, Hosting Power

Italy: Camplus

Japan: J-Stay

Mexico: Rent A TecCompartoDepa, Dada RoomMercado de Depas TEC - Campus MTYConexion 

Netherlands: duwo, kamertjekamernet, easykamer


Singapore: EasyRoommateGumtree

Spain: pisocompartido.comhabitamos.comidealista.comaluni.netEasyPisoMalaga Rooms, Apartment Barcelona, Badi,Helphousing

Sweden: sssb.seblocket.sehemnet.seakademiskkvart.sehyrabostad.seBostadsListanHyresvärdslistan


Turkey: Studio FlatsHome Point 

UK: Erasmus Living (Newcastle)SpareRoom, The app SpareRoom, Langzeitunterkunft LondonLondon Bed & Breakfast Agentur, Zone 2 Stay

USA: Places4Students

USA (NYC): Educational Housing Service NYC, Urban Living, Gypsy Housing, Kolping House, Webster's, The Leo House, House of the Redeemer, Seafarers International House, International House, Rooms & Rates, Outpost Club

How will you access money during your time abroad? For most countries it would be a good idea to have a credit card, especially one from a German financial institution. Try to find an offer for a free credit card that does not charge any fees for international ATM withdrawals. Compare offers from various banks and financial service institutions to find the best deal.


Refund for the NRW Ticket for Public Transportation

Even if you do not apply for a leave of absence, you may apply to have the unused months of the student ticket for public transportation refunded. All necessary information can be found on the AStA website.  

Leave of Absence (Beurlaubung)

Students who go abroad for their studies or an internship can apply for a leave of absence from the university in that semester. The advantage is that your program semester (Fachsemester) does not increase during that semester and you do not lose your spot in your degree program at TU Dortmund University.

It is important that you spend more than 50% of the lecture period abroad. If, for example, you are abroad from the beginning of January until the beginning of May, a leave of absence is not possible for either semester. However, if you stay abroad until the end of June, for example, a leave of absence would be possible for the summer semester (but not for the winter semester).

If you take a leave of absence and return to NRW before the end of the semester, you may not participate in exams at TU Dortmund University (only exception: repeat exams). You are not allowed to take a leave of absence during stays abroad that count as credit toward your degree program (if you receive ECTS for that stay abroad).

In the Bachelor's degree it is possible to take a leave of absence from the second program semester on. A leave of absence for the first Master's semester can be granted to all re-registrants and new enrollees if one of the reasons for leave of absence is given. There is no restriction to specific reasons for leave of absence.

The Student Registration Office can help with any questions.

Please note: Students in an exchange program will not automatically be registered for a leave of absence by the International Office.

Steps to Apply for a Leave of Absence:

  1. Download the Application for a Leave of Absence from the Student Registration Office (in German).
  2. When you turn in your application you will also need to turn in a certificate from the International Office confirming the duration of your stay abroad.
    If you are not participating in an exchange program, please send an e-mail to going-abroadtu-dortmundde with your letter of acceptance from the host institution or your work contract as well as your current certificate of enrollment from TU Dortmund University in order to receive a certificate.
  3. Transfer the social contribution (Semesterbeitrag) amount listed on the application for your specific leave of absence reason. If you transfer the amount after the re-registration deadline ("Rückmeldefrist"), please note the late fee on the application.
  4. For study abroad: Select the reason "Studium an einer ausländischen Hochschule" and also turn in a certficate about the duration from the International Office.
  5. For an internship abroad: Select the reason "Praktika" and turn in a copy of your work contract (in German or English) as well as a certificate from your department confirming the duration and the necessity of the internship. 
    No matter what, the stay abroad has to coincide with at least 50% of the lecture period (approximately 8 weeks of the lecture period).
  6. Turn in all complete documents within the deadline to the Student Registration Office.

Please Note: The application for a leave of absence is only valid for one semester. If you are requesting a leave of absence for two semesters, you will need to turn in a new application with all complete documents during the re-registration period for the corresponding semester.  This can be done through mail or in person (you may officially authorize someone else to do this for you - please note the special instructions for this on the application).

Leave of Absence and Transfer of Credit from Abroad

Usually credits earned abroad can be transferred to your degree program in Dortmund, even during a leave of absence. Discuss this option with the lecturers and examinations board in your department. Further information about this can be found below ("After Your Stay Abroad").

Studying abroad should give you new insights into your subject and related disciplines in another country. Of course there can be huge differences between the courses offered abroad and those that you have to take for your program in Dortmund. But don't let that discourage you! This coud be a great opportunity to set a specific concentration in your studies that could be attractive for a future employer.

The classes you take and your study achievements abroad may be eligible for recognition in your studies at TU Dortmund University. Regardless of whether you are participating in an exchange program or carrying out an independently planned stay abroad, you will need to discuss the possibility of  recognition of your sudy achievements with your academic advisor before you go abroad.

Many universities do not publish their course catalogs until shortly before the start of the semester, so you will need to have a look at past course catalogs in order to see what types of courses may be offered when you are there.

Even if the course catalog has been published, you always need a back-up plan in case changes are made to the course schedule or certain courses are cancelled. Be sure to pick out several possible courses that you could take (not just the minimum) and discuss all of these with the responsible person in your department.

On this page you can find general information on "Study Abroad & Recognition".

Learning Agreements 

Front cover of the book "Moving to another EU country" © Europäisches Verbraucherzentrum Deutschland

You are going abroad for one or two semesters and are not sure which contracts need to be cancelled and what else needs to be done?  Answers to these and other questions can be found in the brochure "Umzug ins EU Ausland: Verträge kündigen oder behalten?" from the Zentrum für Europäischen Verbraucherschutz e. V. (in German).

Typically for all countries outside of the EU you will need a visa in order to study or intern there. Gather all the information you need directly from the embassy or consulate for the host country. This process can take several months, so start early. Entry requirements can change at any time: Check the current regulations even shortly before you start your stay abroad.

For an internship abroad, please also read this additional information.

Please note that the International Office cannot offer visa advising!

International students who would like to go abroad for studies or an internship may even have to apply for a residence or work permit for EU or Schengen countries. Please check with the country's official offices. Please note that you will also need to inform the Ausländerbehörde in the city in which you live of any longer stay outside of Germany. Failure to report a stay abroad could lead to an annullment of your visa for Germany!

Important: Regularly check the webpage of the host country's consulate for the most up-to-date arrival and immigration information. This information can change at any time.  

Medical Certificate

For some stays abroad you may need to have a medical certificate, especially to study abroad in certain countries (e.g. in Asia). For some universities this certificate is included in the application documents and for others the certificate should be issued no earlier than two months before arrival. Your host institution can give you more information about their requirements.

Vaccinations (Covid-19, etc.)

Certain vaccinations may be necessary for your stay abroad, especially for study abroad or an internship in a school. The process for getting a new vaccination can take up to six months. Check with your host institution about their vaccination requirements and discuss the vaccination recommendations for your travel region with your doctor.

Some countries have especially strict rules regarding the type of Covid-19 vaccine. Be sure to check the quarantine and vaccination requirements for the country and the city in which you will be living.

Information and Travel Warnings from the Federal Foreign Office 

Regularly check the homepage of the  Federal Foreign Office to stay up-to-date on the situation in your host country, especially regarding travel warnings. Also read these important notes from the DAAD on traveling safely.

The DAAD's "studieren weltweit – ERLEBE ES!" campaign aims to inspire students and young people to go abroad. Students from Germany share their experiences abroad online. Authentic, real and live. All contributions flow together on

New correspondents are selected twice a year - usually in May for the winter semester and in November for the summer semester - and then invited to a mandatory (online) preparation workshop, where they get to know other correspondents and are trained for their task (professional training in the use of social media). They are also given a smartphone and a monthly honorarium.  

The application is done via the DAAD's online form (in German). Please refer to the conditions for participation.

After Your Stay Abroad

Help other students who are just starting their planning or are not sure what to do and where to go. You can submit the report via e-mail.

In case the file size is too large please use Sciebo to send the report.

For Erasmus+ Study Abroad (coursework at a university):

For the Overseas Exchange Program/Short-term Programs:

For All Internship Programs (also Ruhr Fellowship and research internships at a university):

Approximately one to four months after completing classes at the host university, you will be issued a Transcript of Records. Start discussing the recognition of study achievements right away with your department.

Calculating Foreign Grades for the German System

The grade conversion for grades earned abroad is done by your department according to the so-called "Aachener Table". This serves as a guide for the departments when converting foreign grades into the German system. Since not all countries are included in the table, you may be referred to the International Office. In this case, the Admissions Department of the International Office is responsible for converting the grades into the German grading system. This department also follows the Aachener Table and can give further recommendations for other countries. For this purpose, please fill out the Grade Calculation Form and send it with a scan of your Transcript of Records in pdf format to the Admissions Office. Be sure to scan all relevant pages of your Transcript of Records (including the reverse side). You will receive your grade conversion through e-mail and can then discuss course credit approval with your faculty.

Calculating Credits for the "European Credit Transfer System" (ECTS)

Foreign universities outside of the EU give "credit points" for your classes; these credit points may not be comparable with ECTS, a system which is based on workload. The workload comparability must be discussed with the lecturer  (or the responsible person or office in your department).

Please note: The International Office may only make suggestions for credit transfer to your department, however the final decision lies with the department.

If you received a scholarship from TU Dortmund University for your stay abroad, you will need to turn in certain documents in a timely manner in order to retain the scholarship. You will find the mandatory documents in your scholarship acceptance form (Annahmeerklärung/Grant Agreement) or in the corresponding scholarship description:

You profited from an excellent support system during your stay abroad and now you want to help out students in a similar situation here in Dortmund? You want to work on your intercultural skills and also get to know people from other cultures? Volunteer to help out in the international programs and activities on campus - many of the activities also count towards the Certificate "Studium International"​.

Share your experience abroad with school children! Through the "Back to School" and "Europa macht Schule" programs from the German Academic Exchange Service you have the opportunity to design a project and let young people profit from your knowledge and experiences. The program"Back to School" was expanded in 2023 to also include study or internships abroad outside of Europe. The DAAD has also created this guide for students after their stay abroad (in German) to help you find the right DAAD volunteer opportunity for you.

Students in a second degree program (master students or e.g. bachelor students who have already completed a vocational traineeship) can write off their stay abroad in the teax return application, however there are very strict requirements for this. Research your possibilities, and hold on to proof of all payments from your stay abroad.

Sometimes tax seminars for students are offered in Dortmund on this topic.


E-mail Inquiries

General inquiries: going-abroad
Erasmus+ study abroad: erasmus-outgoings

Office Hours

(Only) Erasmus+ Study Abroad:

Office hours via telephone/zoom Hella Koschinski: by prior arrangement
Tel.: 0231 755-6247

Office hours in presence: only with appointment
Tue 9:00-12:00

General Inquiries - Outgoings (Studies/Internships/Short Programs):

Office hours via telephone / Skype (laura-hope) / Zoom (please send a link when you are online):  without appointment, open
Mon-Tue 10:00-11:30 & 13:30-15:00
Tel.: 0231 755-4728      

Office hours in presence:  only with appointment
New appointments will be released 14 days in advance. If no appointments are shown as available, this means that all appointments for this time period are already booked.