Career start in Germany
Would you like to stay in Germany after the successful completion of your studies at TU Dortmund University? On these pages you can find useful advice and information about life and work in Germany.
8 - 17 May 2023: Career Days at TU Dortmund University
At the Career Days, students will have the opportunity to participate in various events during this time. They can find out about career paths and support services during the application process and get to know contacts at the university who can help with questions about career orientation or entering the job market. In addition, you have the opportunity to learn more about the job market in Company Talks and to gather practical tips for a successful job start and to get to know a wide range of services offered by TU Dortmund University. More information can be found on the Research Support Services' website.
Many international graduates consider working in Germany for a certain period of time to gain valuable experience on the German labor market. Qualified specialists are needed and welcome in Germany, so the German government is promoting the immigration of foreign employees.
The following events and services will also help you in this respect:
International Career Fair
Visa and Residence Rights
Workshop "Business Appearance"
Mentoring Program "Tandem2Job"
Looking for an Internship or a Job
Start your job search early! Remember that some career fairs or information events are held just once a year, so inform yourself in good time and do not miss any registration deadlines. In general, it is not unusual for application processes to take up to 6 months and require several applications, although this can vary greatly, of course. Find out about your individual strengths, interests and abilities and look beyond your own nose when looking for suitable vacancies - the search is often not (only) for graduates with specific degrees, but rather with the right skills.
There are also regular events at TU Dortmund University to support you in the transition from university to the job market. These can be career fairs, for example, which offer you the opportunity to get in contact with different companies, get an internship position and potentially even submit your application. It is therefore important to prepare well beforehand, have your CV or short application ready and approach company representatives openly. Among others, you can find the following offers at TU Dortmund University:
- Job offers for students are provided by the job portal of TU Dortmund University, the so-called Stellenwerk.
- The annual Internationale Karrieremesse at TU Dortmund University aims especially at international students.
- Looking for practical experience during your studies? You can do this in Germany, but also abroad! All information about internships abroad and scholarships can be found on our outgoing internship pages.
- REALITY is the job fair of the computer science sector, organized by the Faculty of Computer Science.
- The Autonome AusländerInnenReferat of TU Dortmund University, a department of the General Student Committee (Allgemeiner Studierendenausschuss, AStA), offers career seminars in English.
- Also, feel free to take a look at what other graduates have experienced at the International Career Fair so far.
- You will find many helpful tips for job search onMake it in Germany
Applications and job interviews
In order to apply successfully on the German job market, you should deal with the "dos and don'ts" of application writing. Current literature on the subject of applications and job interviews can be helpful, or you could seek professional advice. Find out more about the company you would like to apply to. Do not send standard applications to different companies, but adapt each application individually to the respective employer. You should also consider beforehand which documents you need to submit and which standards and rules need to be followed - our workshop on business appearance can be helpful in this matter!
Please do not forget that your German language skills are the key to the success of your application! Many employers in Germany expect good knowledge of the German language. So do not only work on your specialist knowledge during your studies, but also remember to continuously improve your language skills; e.g. through language courses or by joining clubs and associations on campus.
- The university team of the Employment Agency (Hochschulteam der Agentur für Arbeit) will advise you on all questions concerning starting a job.
- The International Office offers an application advisory service for English and German internship applications.
- At Europass you can get advice on how to design your curriculum vitae.
- At the Alumniportal Deutschland you can find current job offers for international graduates.
- You will also find useful tips and links on the website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD ).
- Find out about Language Courses on the website of the Centre for Higher Education (zhb), Department of Foreign Languages.
- The „Centrum für Entrepreneurship und Transfer“ (CET) supports students and scientists in exploiting their ideas and research results, for example through innovative start-ups or SME projects (SME = small and medium-sized enterprises).
Stay in Touch
After successfully finalizing your studies at TU Dortmund University, we would like to stay in touch with you. Please visit the pages of Alumni International and become part of our international network! This network is aimed at former students of TU Dortmund University as well as international scientists and scholars actively pursuing their research activities at TU Dortmund University.
The Association of Friends of TU Dortmund University (Gesellschaft der Freunde der TU Dortmund) also has an extensive network and establishes contacts between the university and its economic, political and cultural environment.