To content

After graduation

Stay during job search

Once you have successfully completed your studies at university, you have the option of extending your permitted stay. To do this, you must apply for a residence permit for employment search at an early stage, which gives you 18 months to find a job that corresponds to your university degree. The time frame of 18 months begins after you have received your last examination result and have been able to prove this degree to the immigration authorities.

Tip: Start looking for a job early and make an appointment with the immigration authorities in advance to plan your stay.

Stay during employment

If you have found a suitable job, you must inform the Immigration Office and apply for a residence permit for employment purposes. You will need documents such as an employment contract and statutory health insurance as proof. The immigration authority will then check whether the job corresponds to your qualifications and, if necessary, issue the new residence permit.

Contact us

If you have any questions, please contact the Social Counseling for International Students.

E-mail: social.counselingtu-dortmundde

Consultationhours via Zoom: by prior appointment. Consultation hours in presence: Wednesdays from 10:30-11:30 a.m. by prior appointment via Terminland. On-site consultations take place in the International Office, room 212 (2nd floor, Emil-Figge-Str. 61, 44227 Dortmund).

We will be happy to advise you!