To content

Part-Time Work

If you wish to work besides studying, you have the possibility to work part-time. There are certain rules you have to observe as an international student.


Principally, students from other EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland can work under the same conditions as German students. If you want to work more than 20 hours per week, however, additional insurance fees must be paid.

Students from all other countries are allowed to pursue secondary employments under certain regulations only. We therefore recommend that you obtain information about the legal framework at an early stage, if necessary from the Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde). Generally, international students are permitted to work for 120 full or 240 half days per year and must not be self-employed or freelancers. If you want to work more than this given time span, the Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit) as well as the Foreigners' Registration Office need to give you permission to do so.

A research assistant can work without a time limit, which also needs to be confirmed by the Foreigners' Registration Office. You can get additional consultation at the Dortmund Student Services Provider and the International Office. The International Office also regularly provides workshops and career fairs to help you.


Bundesagentur für Arbeit

The Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) is the official institution that is concerned with all employment-related matters. They have a comprehensive database of currently available vacancies to assist in the job search. You can also get personal consultation in one of their branches, one of which is here in Dortmund:

Agentur für Arbeit Dortmund
Steinstr. 39
44147 Dortmund

There is also a university team of the Arbeitsagentur that can assist you in your job search.

The list above just shows a selection of the many options available on the internet. There are multiple ways to find a job. Therefore, also check the local newspapers as well as bulletin and notice boards in universities, supermarkets and other public places for current job offers.



To event list

Location & approach

The campus of TU Dort­mund University is located close to interstate junction Dort­mund West, where the Sauerlandlinie A 45 (Frankfurt-Dort­mund) crosses the Ruhrschnellweg B 1 / A 40. The best interstate exit to take from A 45 is "Dort­mund-Eichlinghofen" (closer to Campus Süd), and from B 1 / A 40 "Dort­mund-Dorstfeld" (closer to Campus Nord). Signs for the uni­ver­si­ty are located at both exits. Also, there is a new exit before you pass over the B 1-bridge leading into Dort­mund.

To get from Campus Nord to Campus Süd by car, there is the connection via Vogelpothsweg/Baroper Straße. We recommend you leave your car on one of the parking lots at Campus Nord and use the H-Bahn (suspended monorail system), which conveniently connects the two campuses.


TU Dort­mund University has its own train station ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät"). From there, suburban trains (S-Bahn) leave for Dort­mund main station ("Dort­mund Hauptbahnhof") and Düsseldorf main station via the "Düsseldorf Airport Train Station" (take S-Bahn number 1, which leaves every 20 or 30 minutes). The uni­ver­si­ty is easily reached from Bochum, Essen, Mülheim an der Ruhr and Duisburg.

You can also take the bus or subway train from Dort­mund city to the uni­ver­si­ty: From Dort­mund main station, you can take any train bound for the Station "Stadtgarten", usually lines U41, U45, U 47 and U49. At "Stadtgarten" you switch trains and get on line U42 towards "Hombruch". Look out for the Station "An der Palmweide". From the bus stop just across the road, busses bound for TU Dort­mund University leave every ten minutes (445, 447 and 462). Another option is to take the subway routes U41, U45, U47 and U49 from Dort­mund main station to the stop "Dort­mund Kampstraße". From there, take U43 or U44 to the stop "Dort­mund Wittener Straße". Switch to bus line 447 and get off at "Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S".


The H-Bahn is one of the hallmarks of TU Dort­mund University. There are two stations on Campus Nord. One ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S") is directly located at the suburban train stop, which connects the uni­ver­si­ty directly with the city of Dort­mund and the rest of the Ruhr Area. Also from this station, there are connections to the "Technologiepark" and (via Campus Süd) Eichlinghofen. The other station is located at the dining hall at Campus Nord and offers a direct connection to Campus Süd every five minutes.


The AirportExpress is a fast and convenient means of transport from Dortmund Airport (DTM) to Dortmund Central Station, taking you there in little more than 20 minutes. From Dortmund Central Station, you can continue to the university campus by interurban railway (S-Bahn). A larger range of international flight connections is offered at Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), which is about 60 kilometres away and can be directly reached by S-Bahn from the university station.


The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Site Map of TU Dort­mund University (Second Page in English)

Interactive map

The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Campus Lageplan Zum Lageplan