To content

Visa and Status

Generally anyone who wants to gain practical experience in a country outside of the EU must apply for a visa.

Visas can only be issued by the consular office of the country in which you plan to carry out your internship. Since the conditions and formalities for these applications can change at any time, please treat only the information that comes from the representative body for your host country as valid. An overview with links to each website is available on the Federal Foreign Office's website.


Placement agencies like College Council (see below) can usually help you apply for the visa for particular countries (for a fee). This is especially helpful if there is not much time until the planned start date (from four to eight weeks).

Foreign Students:

Please note that you will need to inform the Ausländerbehörde of any longer stay outside of Germany. Failure to report a stay abroad could lead to an annullment of your visa for Germany!

You  may also have to apply for a residency permit for the host country, even in some Schengen states of the EU. Further information is available from the consulate of the respective country.

Select Countries

It is currently only possible to apply for a visa for an internship in the framework of an exchange program (full list, e.g. Erasmus).

Interns will need to apply for the Temporary Worker-Government Authorised Exchange visa (T5). We suggest that you start the process very early (though no more than 3 months before the start of the internship).

In order to apply for the visa you will need a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), which is issued by the British Council for Erasmus participants. The Certificate of Sponsorship includes a reference number, which coincides with information about the internship and the participant's personal information, and is valid for three months from issuance. The International Office applies for the reference number on behalf of Erasmus participants. This process can take up to four weeks.

The CoS application can only start after you have turned in your Erasmus application. You will need to turn in additional documents (passport, English transcript, etc.) via e-mail to Laura Hope.

The visa application can be filled out online after you receive the reference number from the Certificate of Sponsorship and costs 244 British Pounds (citizens of some countries will receive a discount of 55 Pounds). The application process can take a further four weeks.

There is no minimum required salary in the visa category Tier5 (GAE). However, students should be able to prove that they can afford the cost of living through the Erasmus scholarship and/or their salary and savings and will not apply for any public funds in the UK.

Health Insurance

Anyone with a visa must pay the Immigration Health Surcharge to gain access to NHS, the public health services. The fee for students is 470 British Pounds per year.

In order to apply for an "Academic Training J1" (internship) visa in the USA, you need a visa sponsor. Be prepared for the application process through the sponsor to take at least six to eight weeks. The following organizations are able to be visa sponsors:

Please note that this is not a complete, exhaustive list of organizations, and no one organization is recommended. Compare offers from several sponsors before you decide on one.



To event list

Location & approach

The campus of TU Dort­mund University is located close to interstate junction Dort­mund West, where the Sauerlandlinie A 45 (Frankfurt-Dort­mund) crosses the Ruhrschnellweg B 1 / A 40. The best interstate exit to take from A 45 is "Dort­mund-Eichlinghofen" (closer to Campus Süd), and from B 1 / A 40 "Dort­mund-Dorstfeld" (closer to Campus Nord). Signs for the uni­ver­si­ty are located at both exits. Also, there is a new exit before you pass over the B 1-bridge leading into Dort­mund.

To get from Campus Nord to Campus Süd by car, there is the connection via Vogelpothsweg/Baroper Straße. We recommend you leave your car on one of the parking lots at Campus Nord and use the H-Bahn (suspended monorail system), which conveniently connects the two campuses.


TU Dort­mund University has its own train station ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät"). From there, suburban trains (S-Bahn) leave for Dort­mund main station ("Dort­mund Hauptbahnhof") and Düsseldorf main station via the "Düsseldorf Airport Train Station" (take S-Bahn number 1, which leaves every 20 or 30 minutes). The uni­ver­si­ty is easily reached from Bochum, Essen, Mülheim an der Ruhr and Duisburg.

You can also take the bus or subway train from Dort­mund city to the uni­ver­si­ty: From Dort­mund main station, you can take any train bound for the Station "Stadtgarten", usually lines U41, U45, U 47 and U49. At "Stadtgarten" you switch trains and get on line U42 towards "Hombruch". Look out for the Station "An der Palmweide". From the bus stop just across the road, busses bound for TU Dort­mund University leave every ten minutes (445, 447 and 462). Another option is to take the subway routes U41, U45, U47 and U49 from Dort­mund main station to the stop "Dort­mund Kampstraße". From there, take U43 or U44 to the stop "Dort­mund Wittener Straße". Switch to bus line 447 and get off at "Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S".


The H-Bahn is one of the hallmarks of TU Dort­mund University. There are two stations on Campus Nord. One ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S") is directly located at the suburban train stop, which connects the uni­ver­si­ty directly with the city of Dort­mund and the rest of the Ruhr Area. Also from this station, there are connections to the "Technologiepark" and (via Campus Süd) Eichlinghofen. The other station is located at the dining hall at Campus Nord and offers a direct connection to Campus Süd every five minutes.


The AirportExpress is a fast and convenient means of transport from Dort­mund Airport (DTM) to Dort­mund Central Station, taking you there in little more than 20 minutes. From Dort­mund Central Station, you can continue to the university campus by interurban railway (S-Bahn). A larger range of in­ter­na­tio­nal flight connections is offered at Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), which is about 60 kilometres away and can be directly reached by S-Bahn from the university station.


The facilities of TU Dort­mund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Site Map of TU Dort­mund University (Second Page in English)

Interactive map

The facilities of TU Dort­mund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Campus Lageplan Zum Lageplan