To content
Preparation for your studies


Students from non-EU/EEA countries (third countries)

Please note that you may need a visa for Germany even if you have a residence permit from another EU country. You can find a list of countries requiring visas here.

Please contact the German Embassy in your home country as early as possible to find out about the entry requirements and which documents you need to apply for a visa. Please submit your application for a visa or residence permit in your home country. Important tips and information on applying for a visa can be found on the Studying in Germany website.

Students from EU/EEA countries

As an EU/EEA citizen, you do not need a study visa to study in Germany. Thanks to the freedom of movement, you can enter Germany without a visa or residence permit and stay there for a period of three months. All you need is a valid passport or identity card to enter the country.

Contact us

If you have any questions, please contact the Social Counseling for International Students.

E-mail: social.counselingtu-dortmundde

Consultationhours via Zoom: by prior appointment. Consultation hours in presence: Wednesdays from 10:30-11:30 a.m. by prior appointment via Terminland. On-site consultations take place in the International Office, room 212 (2nd floor, Emil-Figge-Str. 61, 44227 Dortmund).

We will be happy to advise you!