To content
Application for Degree Programs & Study Funding

Application for Degree Programs & Study Funding


Before you apply to study at TU Dortmund University, you should first of all consider your desired course of study. TU Dortmund University offers a wide range of courses from computer science or chemistry up to literature and cultural studies. You can find out here which requirements have to be met for your studies and how the application process works at TU Dortmund University.

Before you apply, you should consider which degree program you would like to study. On the website of the Student Registration Office of TU Dortmund University you can get an overview of the courses offered at TU Dortmund University.

If you are still unsure which subject you would like to study and are looking for a suitable place to study, this website can help you:

If you have decided to study at TU Dortmund University, you can apply for a Bachelor's degree program (first semester) via the portal of uni-assist e.V. For a Bachelor's degree program in an advanced semester and all Master's programs, the application for international applicants is done via the online form of the Admission and Enrollment Office.

Please refer to the website of the Admission and Enrollment Office for international applicants to get detailed information on the application periods and the application procedure itself. If you have any questions about the application process, you can directly contact the colleagues in the Admission and Enrollment Office using the online contact form.

If you have specific questions about the application process via uni-assist, you can use the uni-assist office hours at TU Dortmund University to get support. You can find more specific information about these office hours here.

If you are still unsure whether your school leaving certificate allows university studies in Germany, the online information portal of the Conference of Ministers of Culture can help you. For each country you can check on the website which school leaving certificates qualify as university entrance qualification.

If documents are missing or not available for various reasons, please feel free to contact the Refugee Counseling and Integration Office directly.

Financing Your Studies

When applying for a degree program you should already think about ways of financing your studies. After the enrollment, you will not receive any further financial support for your subsistence from the Jobcenter or the Federal Job Agency.

Although there are currently no tuition fees in North Rhine-Westphalia, studying is not free of charge. Every semester students have to pay a "social contribution” (i.e. a semester fee), which is used for the semester ticket, but also for student self-administration and other services. More detailed information on the social contribution can be found on the website of the Student Regisration Office.

Furthermore, of course, there are also costs for your living expenses (rent, insurance, food, etc.). We have compiled an overview of funding opportunities for students with a refugee background during their studies. Please refer to the websites of the individual providers and sponsors for information on possible application deadlines and the according requirements for the funding.


Students can apply for BAföG in order to receive state support. If you have any questions regarding BAföG, please contact the BaföG office of the Dortmund Student Services Provider
directly. There you can find out whether you are eligible for BAföG: Studierendenwerk Dortmund, Amt für Ausbildungsförderung, Vogelpothsweg 85.

Particularly talented students enrolled at TU Dortmund University can apply for scholarships for financial support shortly before admission or during their studies. Entrance scholarships (for the first semester) and study scholarships (from the second semester onwards) for the duration of six month are available. These scholarships are financed by the state of North Rhine-Westphalia. Further information on the scholarships, application requirements and modalities can be found on our website.


Bread for the World is the globally active development and relief agency of the Protestant Churches in Germany. It supports refugees who wish to continue or take up a professional academic training in Germany and who are not entitled to BAföG or other support measures.

Applicants may not be older than 35 years of age, must choose a development-relevant orientation for their academic training and present a residence permit. In addition, they must have been known to the respective Protestant student community for at least three months and ideally have already committed themselves to it. Funding is available for both the degree program itself and, in some cases, preparatory measures such as language courses. Participation in events of the accompanying study program and commitment to development policy are obligatory for scholarship holders. 

The scholarship “Welcome” offered by Deutsche Universitätsstiftung (DUS) is targeted at undergraduate students with a refugee background who live in Germany. The scholarship includes finding a local and experienced mentor for the student, seminars designed to develop key competences, the opportunity to participate in academic events, and a yearly funding of 600 EUR for study-related academic books. Applicants must be enrolled as undergraduate students at a German university, need to provide proof of an adequate German language proficiency of at least level C1 (Common European Framework of Reference, CEFR) and have a refugee background. 

The "hochform" program of the Deutsche Universitätsstiftung (DUS) supports master's students in STEM fields with the above-mentioned benefits.

The Friedrich Ebert Foundation (FES) offers its scholars material funding, a versatile educational program as well as individual counseling and support. Applications are open for undergraduate, graduate and Ph.D. students. Those refugees are eligible for this scholarship, who either have an established residence status (a stay in Germany longer than 15 months) and / or can claim BAföG. German language proficiency must be at least at B1/B2 level (CEFR) and applicants must either have a confirmation of admission or a certificate of enrollment at a state or state-recognized German university or university of applied sciences, or must be able to provide proof of study achievements from their previous studies in Germany or abroad. 


The Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,200 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are, aside from their academic achievements, characterized by their social and political involvement. In doing so, they need to display an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self-determination and justice. The foundation offers both financial support and a comprehensive range of events. All refugees who wish to start or continue their studies in Germany are welcome to apply. Application procedures are carried out twice a year. 


The Konrad Adenauer Foundation supports undergraduate (Bachelor’s), graduate (Master’s) and postgraduate (Ph.D.) students. The scholarship is designed to help the recipients to prepare for their future careers in the public and the private sector, especially in academia, state institutions and international organizations, civic society, media or in the cultural sector. Benefits provided by the foundation include monthly financial support, a wide range of seminars, and career counselling. Applicants have to be either recognized refugees (i.e. as entitled to asylum, having been granted refugee status or subsidiary protection) or “tolerated” refugees or a holder of a specific humanitarian residence permit (the latter are only eligible for the program within the first 15 months after the asylum application in Germany). 


The scholarship provided by the Otto Benecke Foundation (Otto Benecke Stiftung, OBS) addresses acknowledged refugees, late re-settlers as well as their relatives, and Jewish immigrants who seek to acquire a Higher Education Entrance Qualification (HZB) and wish to pursue an academic career. The program is funded by the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth and requires a consultation with the local educational advisory service Garantiefonds Hochschule before acceptance into the program. The scholarship includes financial assistance for participation in language courses, special courses, preparatory courses and academic internships. In addition to the support program, the Otto Benecke Foundation also offers seminars to prepare students for their studies, as well as coaching for immigrant students directly at the universities. Applications for support from the foundation must be submitted before the age of 30 and within two years after arrival in Germany. 

Since 1992, the Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative (DAFI) has offered scholarships to support numerous refugees who wish to begin or continue their studies. DAFI not only supports studies, but is also actively involved in the reconstruction of crisis-ridden countries. DAFI is funded by the Federal Government of Germany. In principle, it is only aimed at Bachelor students, but in special cases exceptions can be made by arrangement. 


The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) administers the scholarship programme “Hilde Domin Programme” with funds from the Federal Foreign Office (AA). The programme serves to support students and doctoral candidates from across the globe, who are at risk of being formally or de facto denied educational or other rights in their country of origin, and to provide these students and doctoral candidates with an opportunity to begin or complete a study or research degree at a higher education institution in Germany.

Further information on financing your studies can be found on the website of the International Office in the section “Rund ums Studium“.

The website of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research can also be helpful in this context. 

A further overview of numerous scholarship and support programs can also be found on the following website:


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Refugee Counseling and In­te­gra­ti­on Office.

You can reach us here: refugee.counselingtu-dortmundde

We are looking forward to assist you!


To event list

Location & approach

The campus of TU Dort­mund University is located close to interstate junction Dort­mund West, where the Sauerlandlinie A 45 (Frankfurt-Dort­mund) crosses the Ruhrschnellweg B 1 / A 40. The best interstate exit to take from A 45 is "Dort­mund-Eichlinghofen" (closer to Campus Süd), and from B 1 / A 40 "Dort­mund-Dorstfeld" (closer to Campus Nord). Signs for the uni­ver­si­ty are located at both exits. Also, there is a new exit before you pass over the B 1-bridge leading into Dort­mund.

To get from Campus Nord to Campus Süd by car, there is the connection via Vogelpothsweg/Baroper Straße. We recommend you leave your car on one of the parking lots at Campus Nord and use the H-Bahn (suspended monorail system), which conveniently connects the two campuses.


TU Dort­mund University has its own train station ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät"). From there, suburban trains (S-Bahn) leave for Dort­mund main station ("Dort­mund Hauptbahnhof") and Düsseldorf main station via the "Düsseldorf Airport Train Station" (take S-Bahn number 1, which leaves every 20 or 30 minutes). The uni­ver­si­ty is easily reached from Bochum, Essen, Mülheim an der Ruhr and Duisburg.

You can also take the bus or subway train from Dort­mund city to the uni­ver­si­ty: From Dort­mund main station, you can take any train bound for the Station "Stadtgarten", usually lines U41, U45, U 47 and U49. At "Stadtgarten" you switch trains and get on line U42 towards "Hombruch". Look out for the Station "An der Palmweide". From the bus stop just across the road, busses bound for TU Dort­mund University leave every ten minutes (445, 447 and 462). Another option is to take the subway routes U41, U45, U47 and U49 from Dort­mund main station to the stop "Dort­mund Kampstraße". From there, take U43 or U44 to the stop "Dort­mund Wittener Straße". Switch to bus line 447 and get off at "Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S".


The H-Bahn is one of the hallmarks of TU Dort­mund University. There are two stations on Campus Nord. One ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S") is directly located at the suburban train stop, which connects the uni­ver­si­ty directly with the city of Dort­mund and the rest of the Ruhr Area. Also from this station, there are connections to the "Technologiepark" and (via Campus Süd) Eichlinghofen. The other station is located at the dining hall at Campus Nord and offers a direct connection to Campus Süd every five minutes.


The AirportExpress is a fast and convenient means of transport from Dortmund Airport (DTM) to Dortmund Central Station, taking you there in little more than 20 minutes. From Dortmund Central Station, you can continue to the university campus by interurban railway (S-Bahn). A larger range of international flight connections is offered at Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), which is about 60 kilometres away and can be directly reached by S-Bahn from the university station.


The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Site Map of TU Dort­mund University (Second Page in English)

Interactive map

The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Campus Lageplan Zum Lageplan