To content
Foreigners' Registration Office


Students from non EU/EWR countries (third countries)

Please note that you may need a visa for Germany even if you have already acquired a residence permit for another EU-country.
List of countries for which a visa is required.

Please contact the German embassy in your home country as soon as possible to find out about the entry requirements and which documents you need to apply for a visa. It is necessary to apply for the visa or residence permit while you are still in your home country. For further important information about visa application, please visit the website of Study in Germany.

Necessary documents to apply for a visa:

  • a valid passport, biometric passport photos
  • a university entrance qualification which is recognized in Germany (A-Levels or equivalent)
  • proof of your previous academic performance
  • proof of financial resources
  • letter of admission from TU Dortmund University

Warning: It can take from a few weeks up to several month to process visa applications, so please apply as soon as possible. We recommend you to come to Germany with only a tourist/travel visa (Schengen visa). It cannot be extended and is only valid for a maximum of three months.

Please note that the International Office does not have any influence on the embassy's process of issuing visas.

Registration at the Foreigners' Registration Office

Everyone who stays in Germany must register their residence with the Foreigners' Registration Office within the first ten days after their arrival in Germany.

In order to avoid potentially long waits, you can reserve an appointment online to register your residence. All necessary documents for registering your residence can be found on the website of the public order office of the City of Dortmund.

Registration form

Contact Information for the Foreigners Registration Office:
studententeamstadtdode or visastadtdode
Contact form

Information about studying abroad for international students in Germany

Residence permit during the job search

After you have successfully completed your studies at the university, there is a possibility to extend your stay in Germany. In order to do so, you must apply for a job search residence permit as soon as possible. With this permit, you will have 18 months to look for a job that fits to your degree. The period of 18 months begins as soon as you have received the last grade of your degree and can prove the completion of your studies to the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Tip: We encourage you to start looking for a job as soon as possible and to make an appointment in advance with the Foreigners' Registration Office to plan your stay in Germany.

Information about entering the German job market!


Residence permit for employees

If you have found a position, you must inform the Foreigners' Registration Office and apply for a residence permit for employment purposes. You will need the necessary documents such as a valid work contract and a confirmation of your health insurance coverage as evidence. The Foreigners' Registration Office will then check if the position corresponds to your academic degree and if approved, will issue a new residence permit.

Information about the recognition of occupational experience abroad.

The employment agency's Migration Check helps your employer to decide if you need a work permit to work in Germany and if it can be issued.


Inform the Foreigners' Registration Office about changes during your residence if:

  • you leave for a semester abroad or for a semester off.
  • you work as a freelancer.
  • you change your major or your university.
  • you lose your passport.
  • you missed the visa extension deadline.
  • you are unable to pursue or continue your studies to reasons of health.
  • you need to travel due to urgent reasons.

Information about changing your major

Presentation about the Foreigners' Registration Office in Dortmund

Information about blue cards

Inform the Foreigners' Registration Office about changes during your residence if:

  • you leave Germany for a semester abroad or for a vacation semester.
  • you work as a freelancer.
  • you change your major subject or the university.
  • you lose your passport.
  • you have missed the visa extension appointment.



To event list

Location & approach

The campus of TU Dort­mund University is located close to interstate junction Dort­mund West, where the Sauerlandlinie A 45 (Frankfurt-Dort­mund) crosses the Ruhrschnellweg B 1 / A 40. The best interstate exit to take from A 45 is "Dort­mund-Eichlinghofen" (closer to Campus Süd), and from B 1 / A 40 "Dort­mund-Dorstfeld" (closer to Campus Nord). Signs for the uni­ver­si­ty are located at both exits. Also, there is a new exit before you pass over the B 1-bridge leading into Dort­mund.

To get from Campus Nord to Campus Süd by car, there is the connection via Vogelpothsweg/Baroper Straße. We recommend you leave your car on one of the parking lots at Campus Nord and use the H-Bahn (suspended monorail system), which conveniently connects the two campuses.


TU Dort­mund University has its own train station ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät"). From there, suburban trains (S-Bahn) leave for Dort­mund main station ("Dort­mund Hauptbahnhof") and Düsseldorf main station via the "Düsseldorf Airport Train Station" (take S-Bahn number 1, which leaves every 20 or 30 minutes). The uni­ver­si­ty is easily reached from Bochum, Essen, Mülheim an der Ruhr and Duisburg.

You can also take the bus or subway train from Dort­mund city to the uni­ver­si­ty: From Dort­mund main station, you can take any train bound for the Station "Stadtgarten", usually lines U41, U45, U 47 and U49. At "Stadtgarten" you switch trains and get on line U42 towards "Hombruch". Look out for the Station "An der Palmweide". From the bus stop just across the road, busses bound for TU Dort­mund University leave every ten minutes (445, 447 and 462). Another option is to take the subway routes U41, U45, U47 and U49 from Dort­mund main station to the stop "Dort­mund Kampstraße". From there, take U43 or U44 to the stop "Dort­mund Wittener Straße". Switch to bus line 447 and get off at "Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S".


The H-Bahn is one of the hallmarks of TU Dort­mund University. There are two stations on Campus Nord. One ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S") is directly located at the suburban train stop, which connects the uni­ver­si­ty directly with the city of Dort­mund and the rest of the Ruhr Area. Also from this station, there are connections to the "Technologiepark" and (via Campus Süd) Eichlinghofen. The other station is located at the dining hall at Campus Nord and offers a direct connection to Campus Süd every five minutes.


The AirportExpress is a fast and convenient means of transport from Dortmund Airport (DTM) to Dortmund Central Station, taking you there in little more than 20 minutes. From Dortmund Central Station, you can continue to the university campus by interurban railway (S-Bahn). A larger range of international flight connections is offered at Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), which is about 60 kilometres away and can be directly reached by S-Bahn from the university station.


The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Site Map of TU Dort­mund University (Second Page in English)

Interactive map

The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Campus Lageplan Zum Lageplan