To content
Overview of residence law issues

Visa and Residence

Please obtain information in good time whether you need an entry visa and which residence permits are applicable for you.


As a rule, a corresponding visa is required for entry into Germany. Entry requirements vary according to nationality and length of stay. Citizens of EU and EEA states are exempt from the visa requirement. There are also exceptions to the visa requirement, which are based on corresponding agreements.

You will find an overview of the visa requirement or exemption from visa for entry into the Federal Republic of Germany on the list of countries of the Federal Foreign Office.

The basic rule is:
The visa must be applied for at the German mission abroad (embassies and consulates general) in the home country or country of stay before entry. The processing of the visa takes between two weeks and several months. With this in mind, we recommend that you submit your visa application as early as possible.

Nationals of these countries may enter without a visa. An identity card is sufficient. For stays of more than three months, they must register with the Residents' Registration Office of their new place of residence and provide proof of their freedom of movement.


Nationals of these countries can usually enter without a visa, even if they intend to take up employment. However, if they intend to stay for a longer period (more than 90 days) and before taking up employment, they must apply for a residence permit.

Short stays of up to 90 days (Schengen visas)

You can apply for the Schengen visa (C visa) if your research stay will last a maximum of 90 days. It is important to note that the Schengen visa cannot be extended. A transfer for another purpose of stay cannot be made. After the expiry of a Schengen visa you must leave Germany in any case.  

Further information: Federal Foreign Office on the issue of Schengen visas                                                                    

Long-term stays over 90 days (national visas)

Stays exceeding three months or stays leading to the taking up of gainful employment are generally subject to a visa requirement. The visa for a long-term stay (national D visa) must be applied for at the responsible foreign mission before entry.

A national visa also entitles the holder to short stays in other Schengen countries.

Important note: After entering Germany, you usually have to apply for a residence title at the local Immigration Office.

Further information: Federal Foreign Office on the issue of national visas

On the website of the Federal Foreign Office you will find further information on visa application.

Residence Permit

Since a visa usually only entitles you to enter the country and to stay for a limited period of time, you need a residence permit for stays of more than 90 days (except for citizens of EU/EEA countries).

The entry visa is usually valid for several weeks after entry. Accordingly, you have time to apply for your residence permit at the local Immigration Office. However, this should be done at least four weeks before the entry visa expires.

  • Completed application form
  • 100 € processing fee for the application of an electronic residence permit (only EC payment possible)
  • Contract of employment or hosting agreement for research projects
  • Letter of Acceptance of Costs/Proof of Financing
  • Written proof of existing health insurance coverage
  • Biometric passport photo

Information on the topic of residence with family and family reunion can be found on our website regarding your research stay with family.

Information on the various residence permits as well as on the requirements for obtaining a specific title, such as the minimum salary limits or required language skills, can be found on the HRK (Hochschulrektorenkonferenz) website and in the corresponding leaflet.

Please remember to apply for the extension of your residence title at the immigration authority in good time. If possible, you should do this four weeks before the expiry of the residence title.

As a rule, you must submit the following documents when applying for the extension of a residence permit:

  • Completed form for the renewal of the residence permit
  • 56 € handling fee

Important note: As a matter of principle, an appointment must be made with the immigration authority in Dortmund for all matters relating to residence law. You will find the contact information on thecity services' website (only in German).

Additional websites:

The Welcome Service team offers­ international researchers support in dealing with formalities, in particular an accompaniment to the local Immigration Office in Dortmund to apply for a residence permit. Please contact us and arrange an appointment.

Please note that the information collected by the Welcome Services does not constitute legally binding information and cannot­ replace the information provided by experts in the respective­ field.
We always recommend that you additionally seek individual advice from the foreign mission or the local immigration authorities.



To event list

Location & approach

The campus of TU Dort­mund University is located close to interstate junction Dort­mund West, where the Sauerlandlinie A 45 (Frankfurt-Dort­mund) crosses the Ruhrschnellweg B 1 / A 40. The best interstate exit to take from A 45 is "Dort­mund-Eichlinghofen" (closer to Campus Süd), and from B 1 / A 40 "Dort­mund-Dorstfeld" (closer to Campus Nord). Signs for the uni­ver­si­ty are located at both exits. Also, there is a new exit before you pass over the B 1-bridge leading into Dort­mund.

To get from Campus Nord to Campus Süd by car, there is the connection via Vogelpothsweg/Baroper Straße. We recommend you leave your car on one of the parking lots at Campus Nord and use the H-Bahn (suspended monorail system), which conveniently connects the two campuses.


TU Dort­mund University has its own train station ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät"). From there, suburban trains (S-Bahn) leave for Dort­mund main station ("Dort­mund Hauptbahnhof") and Düsseldorf main station via the "Düsseldorf Airport Train Station" (take S-Bahn number 1, which leaves every 20 or 30 minutes). The uni­ver­si­ty is easily reached from Bochum, Essen, Mülheim an der Ruhr and Duisburg.

You can also take the bus or subway train from Dort­mund city to the uni­ver­si­ty: From Dort­mund main station, you can take any train bound for the Station "Stadtgarten", usually lines U41, U45, U 47 and U49. At "Stadtgarten" you switch trains and get on line U42 towards "Hombruch". Look out for the Station "An der Palmweide". From the bus stop just across the road, busses bound for TU Dort­mund University leave every ten minutes (445, 447 and 462). Another option is to take the subway routes U41, U45, U47 and U49 from Dort­mund main station to the stop "Dort­mund Kampstraße". From there, take U43 or U44 to the stop "Dort­mund Wittener Straße". Switch to bus line 447 and get off at "Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S".


The H-Bahn is one of the hallmarks of TU Dort­mund University. There are two stations on Campus Nord. One ("Dort­mund Uni­ver­si­tät S") is directly located at the suburban train stop, which connects the uni­ver­si­ty directly with the city of Dort­mund and the rest of the Ruhr Area. Also from this station, there are connections to the "Technologiepark" and (via Campus Süd) Eichlinghofen. The other station is located at the dining hall at Campus Nord and offers a direct connection to Campus Süd every five minutes.


The AirportExpress is a fast and convenient means of transport from Dortmund Airport (DTM) to Dortmund Central Station, taking you there in little more than 20 minutes. From Dortmund Central Station, you can continue to the university campus by interurban railway (S-Bahn). A larger range of international flight connections is offered at Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), which is about 60 kilometres away and can be directly reached by S-Bahn from the university station.


The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Site Map of TU Dort­mund University (Second Page in English)

Interactive map

The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".

Campus Lageplan Zum Lageplan