Research Stay with Family
On the page of the Department of Equal Opportunity, Family and Diversity (only in German) you will find an extensive network for families at TU Dortmund University. Find out about the various offers that are available for you and your family members.
At TU Dortmund University with Your Family
The Staff Unit Equal Opportunity, Family, Diversity will provide you with important information and contacts in the areas of advice, support and financing. These points include, for example, the procurement of school and daycare places in the vicinity of the university and in the entire area around it.
Important information: Various events for parents and children can be found among the offers for families.
Additional information that might be relevant for you can be found on the following pages:
- Euraxess: Information on child benefit and school
- windo: Family-friendly science location in Dortmund (only in German)
- City hall Dortmund: School atlas (only in German)
Family Reunion and Visa
Find out whether your family needs to apply for a visa. You can find some information about visas here. Please note that under certain circumstances the visa application process may take 8-12 weeks or longer. The Welcome Service team will be happy to advise and assist you with any questions you may have regarding family reunion.
If a visa is required:
In order to bring your spouse and/or children to Germany at a later date, you must apply for a family reunion. The subsequent family members first apply for this at the German Embassy in their home country.
The following documents are usually required:
- Valid passports
- Marriage certificate (original and certified translation)
- Birth certificate(s) (original and certified translation)
- Copy of the passport and residence permit of the partner who is already in Germany
- Other residence-related documents of the partner who is already in Germany
- If applicable, A1 certificate of the incoming partner (proof of German language skills)
After the application has been submitted, you will be contacted by the local immigration office by post. If there are still missing documents to make a decision on the granting of a visa, the immigration authority will ask you in writing to submit them subsequently.
You will find additional information that might be relevant for you on the following pages:
- Federal Foreign Office: Family Reunification (only in German)
- BAMF: Family reunification of third country nationals
Please note that the information collected by the Welcome Services does not constitute legally binding information and cannot replace the information provided by experts in the respective field. We always recommend that you seek additional individual advice from the German mission abroad or the local immigration office.
*Our services are directed to international guest researchers, doctoral students, postdocs and professors.