- TU Dortmund University has a unique profile.
- 4-week German Intensive Course prior to each semester (several levels & free of charge for exchange students!)
- Language courses during the semester (several levels & free of charge for exchange students!)
- Dortmund Doubles / Buddy Programm (exchange students are brought together with a Dortmund student in advance to make their start in Dortmund easier)
- Academic support before, during and after the mobility (individual course guidance)
- Exchange students can choose courses from all departments - the choice is huge!
- Alternatively, the International Office can also arrange full-time teaching internships in the Ruhr area
- Reservation of accommodation possible, assistance with administrative formalities, simplified registration (the International Office offers a range of services for exchange students)
- Special support for students with disabilities or with child(ren)
- With the included "Semester Ticket", students are mobile throughout North Rhine-Westphalia (to travel by public transport)
- The city of Dortmund with its almost 600,000 inhabitants is an attractive place in the middle of the Ruhr area and also the second greenest city in Germany (over 500,000 inhabitants) - nobody is bored here #visitDortmund
- Special prices for TU Dortmund University students at the Theater Dortmund
- In exceptional cases, additional courses can be attended at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum and/or the University of Duisburg-Essen (UA Ruhr)
You will feel at home with us!
Please confirm video activation.
After activation, cookies will be set and data is sent to YouTube (Google).
Exchange Students (Worldwide | ISEP | USA Program)
If you have any questions regarding your exchange at TU Dortmund University, please also have a look at our FAQs
Search & People Search
CalendarTo event list
Eat & Read - Open Afternoon at the IBZ
German Language Café
Informational event: Legal rights for international students
IKC Festival of Cultures
Application Deadline: PROMOS Scholarship for the IEP in the USA, Fall Quarter 2023
Location & approach
The campus of TU Dortmund University is located close to interstate junction Dortmund West, where the Sauerlandlinie A 45 (Frankfurt-Dortmund) crosses the Ruhrschnellweg B 1 / A 40. The best interstate exit to take from A 45 is "Dortmund-Eichlinghofen" (closer to Campus Süd), and from B 1 / A 40 "Dortmund-Dorstfeld" (closer to Campus Nord). Signs for the university are located at both exits. Also, there is a new exit before you pass over the B 1-bridge leading into Dortmund.
To get from Campus Nord to Campus Süd by car, there is the connection via Vogelpothsweg/Baroper Straße. We recommend you leave your car on one of the parking lots at Campus Nord and use the H-Bahn (suspended monorail system), which conveniently connects the two campuses.
TU Dortmund University has its own train station ("Dortmund Universität"). From there, suburban trains (S-Bahn) leave for Dortmund main station ("Dortmund Hauptbahnhof") and Düsseldorf main station via the "Düsseldorf Airport Train Station" (take S-Bahn number 1, which leaves every 20 or 30 minutes). The university is easily reached from Bochum, Essen, Mülheim an der Ruhr and Duisburg.
You can also take the bus or subway train from Dortmund city to the university: From Dortmund main station, you can take any train bound for the Station "Stadtgarten", usually lines U41, U45, U 47 and U49. At "Stadtgarten" you switch trains and get on line U42 towards "Hombruch". Look out for the Station "An der Palmweide". From the bus stop just across the road, busses bound for TU Dortmund University leave every ten minutes (445, 447 and 462). Another option is to take the subway routes U41, U45, U47 and U49 from Dortmund main station to the stop "Dortmund Kampstraße". From there, take U43 or U44 to the stop "Dortmund Wittener Straße". Switch to bus line 447 and get off at "Dortmund Universität S".
The H-Bahn is one of the hallmarks of TU Dortmund University. There are two stations on Campus Nord. One ("Dortmund Universität S") is directly located at the suburban train stop, which connects the university directly with the city of Dortmund and the rest of the Ruhr Area. Also from this station, there are connections to the "Technologiepark" and (via Campus Süd) Eichlinghofen. The other station is located at the dining hall at Campus Nord and offers a direct connection to Campus Süd every five minutes.
The AirportExpress is a fast and convenient means of transport from Dortmund Airport (DTM) to Dortmund Central Station, taking you there in little more than 20 minutes. From Dortmund Central Station, you can continue to the university campus by interurban railway (S-Bahn). A larger range of international flight connections is offered at Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), which is about 60 kilometres away and can be directly reached by S-Bahn from the university station.
The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".
Site Map of TU Dortmund University (Second Page in English)
The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".Zum Lageplan